Monday, July 11, 2011

Weekly update #2 11/7/11

So I guess this is a little late if we were to call this a 'weekly' update, but what the heck, better late than never.

So what have I been up to this week?

I've made a lot of progress in developing a brand for my game studio, I've got a catchy name which I've registered a domain for (it's a full .com), I'm now developing a site to represent the brand and showcase the work that will hopefully be up there at some point.

R&D is another area that I have made lots of progress on, I've been trying out a few APIs I might consider using for my upcoming titles, I installed GLUT and messed around with OpenGL, while an OpenGL-based C++ game or game engine isn't in my short term strategy, I feel it's important to look to the future and start learning something a little more hardcore, which I will use in the future if I manage to get some simpler titles to market.

I think something has to be addressed, I am aware that I'm using a lot more business terminology, referring to my games as products or brands, I do this for a reason, and not the one you might think.

When you refer to something as a product or as a brand, you expect it to carry a price, this is not entirely the case in my situation, while I would like to become a successful independent game developer, who is able to earn at least a windfall from the occasional game, that is only a secondary goal, my primary goal is to improve my skillset and create some games for everyone to play.

The point I'm trying to get across is that while I would like to make a living from game programming, my initial goal is not to make millions of pounds, but a more humble goal of getting a game 'out there' and testing the water, by applying the rigour of business, I'm able to motivate myself better, as I work as if I am working to order, as opposed to freelance without a clear direction.

Anyway, enough of that, I just wanted to explain what I do and why I do it, I hope you enjoyed reading my thoughts of the day.

Mike

No comments:

Post a Comment